Walgreens National Concerto Competition
It was such a pleasure to finally meet you and to hear the exceptional talent of your young musicians. They are a testament to your vision, passion and commitment. I have had the privilege of working with talented young students at the Julliard Pre-College for many years and it was equally inspiring to hear the students at MYA
Janet Sung, Competition Judge
Please note: the deadline for registration and payment has passed.
Midwest Young Artists is hosting the 18th annual Walgreens National Concerto Competition, held at the MYA Center at Fort Sheridan and Bennett-Gordon Hall at Ravinia on December 28 & 29, 2013. Prizes for this solo competition included an opportunity to perform with the MYA Symphony Orchestra and on the prestigious From the Top radio program. Walgreens Corporation’s annual sponsorship enabled MYA to provide students with distinguished judges, a DVD recording of their performance, written performance evaluations, and an inviting and nurturing environment in which to participate.
Schedules have been emailed to all participants! Contact Ben Rusch (firstname.lastname@example.org) immediately if you have not received your schedule.
There are two Divisions in the contest: MYA Orchestra Division (MYA Division) and Open Division. Students in the MYA Division must be an active participant in the MYA Orchestra Program. All other entrants will participate in the Open Division (including students in MYA Chamber Music, Choral and Jazz Programs).
There are two Levels in each Division:
- Junior: for students in 8th grade and younger
- Senior: for students in 9th through 12th grades
The competition is open to all instruments. Each Level is further divided into Categories:
- Winds & Percussion
- Early Music (Please note: Students are automatically entered in the Early Music category - in addition to the relevant instrument category - if the piece they are performing was written before 1800. Strings, harpsichord, recorders, gamba winds and brass are encouraged to participate in this category.)
Students must perform a movement from a concerto or work with orchestral accompaniment. Vocalists should perform an opera aria or similar work for voice and orchestra. Selections must be performed from memory with piano accompaniment. Students will have 10 minutes to perform and will be timed. Appropriate accompaniment cuts are recommended. Please note: It is at the judges' discretion to ask for specific sections of a movement being performed. Please have movements prepared in their entirety.
For those entering the Early Music Category only, it is recommended that contestants choose any piece written prior to 1800, to be performed from memory. We do not list suggested literature for all other categories.
Early Music Category Repertoire
Harpsichord, recorders, gamba, winds, and bass are encouraged to participate in this category. If you have questions about repertoire, please contact the MYA office. Students are automatically entered into the Early Music Category if the piece they are performing was written before 1800.
Scheduling for the Walgreens Concerto Competition will take place immediately after the December 1 deadline. The schedule is determined by age division and by accompanist to ensure that all students have an equal opportunity to prepare for their performance. Unfortunately, this means we cannot guarantee a specific audition time for any student. Generally, the Junior Division (grades 8 and under) auditions occur on December 28 and the Senior Division (grades 9-12) auditions occur on December 29; however, this depends on the number of applications we receive from each division. A higher volume of applicants in one division may result in some auditions occuring on the alternate day. We will notify all participants of their audition time once the schedule has been completed.
MYA Center at Fort Sheridan
878 Lyster Road, Highwood, IL 60040
phone: (847) 926-9898
Bennett-Gordon Hall at Ravinia
Highland Park, IL
All participants must perform with an accompanist. Students must provide their own accompanist. Your accompanist’s name and contact information must be provided on your application. To search for a local accompanist, visit www.privatemusicteaching.org.
Application & Entry Fee
The competition entry fee is $55 for students not enrolled in any MYA programs and $35 for MYA members.
Please note: All applications must be submitted on-line; fees are non-refundable and must be paid on-line or by check, postmarked by December 1st.
Walgreens National Concerto Competition Application
Complete Entry Fee Payment
After submitting the application, you can pay your $35 MYA member entry fee or $55 non-member entry fee via PayPal.
Awards and Prizes
One Overall winner will be selected from either the Junior or Senior Level
One Overall winner will be selected from the Senior Level
One Overall winner will be selected from the Junior Level
- Overall winners from the 2013 competition will perform with orchestra on February, 2014 at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall in Evanston, IL.
- The Overall winners will receive a Cash Award of $500 plus a MYA Tuition Scholarship (valued at $715-$745) to be used towards 2013-2014 academic year large ensemble tuition or 2014 Summer Music Festival programs.
- The Overall Senior MYA Division winner will have the opportunity to perform on the prestigious From the Top radio program. (Please note: this only applies to students who have not performed as a soloist on prior shows.)
- Category winners will receive a MYA Tuition Scholarship (valued at $355-$375) to be used toward 2013-2014 academic year large ensemble tuition or 2014 Summer Music Festival programs.
- The Senior Level Early Music winner, at the discretion of the director, will record with Ars Antigua and will be podcasted from their website.
- Category winners will be chosen, at the discretion of the director, to perform in March, 2014, on the Winners Recital at Preston Bradley Hall in the Chicago Cultural Center.
- Winning soloists may also be selected for performance opportunities with Midwest professional and community orchestras.
Out-of-town participants are encouraged to stay at the Courtyard Marriott in Highland Park (1505 Lake Cook Rd.). The MYA rate is $86 per night. For reservations, please call (847) 831-3338. Mention Midwest Young Artists for this rate.
All additional questions about the Walgreens National Concerto Competition can be directed to Ben Rusch, Special Events Coordinator, at email@example.com.